Pages

Thursday, October 22, 2009

31 Days of Halloween: Movie Review #22


The Good Witch. This movie came on the lifetime network a few years ago and I just happened to catch it. I LOVE this movie and it's sequel, The Good Witch's Garden. I will watch them any time they happen to come on TV and you should too!

One of the things I like about this movie is that the main character, Cassie Nightingale, is a modern day witch- not the evil, child-eating, hooked nose, warty old fashioned kind. She never really performs any sparkly, cartoony, impractical magic either. She's just very pagan-new-age-y, gardens very well, and gives good advice to children, keeps an open mind, is good and kind to animals, and knows her way around herbs and essential oils.

When she moves into a "to-die-for" old house in a small town and opens her shop, The Bell, Book, and Candle, she has to deal with the small town mentality of the locals. Primarily, the mayor's wife who is as close-minded and crotchety as they come.

Even though the movie comes across as just ever so slightly cheesy, I still really like it because it's entirely believable (to me). Did I mention that I really, really like her house? And her garden? I want both. And hey, while I'm dreaming, I'd like a pony!

No comments: