Pages

Friday, April 23, 2010

What's For Dinner:


Tonight I'm making this enchilada casserole stuff based on the Taste of Home cookbook's slow cooker version. Momma used to make the slow cooker enchiladas, but I can never remember to put it all together in the morning so I found a neat way to cheat.


Enchilada Casserole:


1 lb ground beef or turkey (we are doing turkey because we are trying to be healthier, and of course, you could omit the meat all together to go vegetarian)

1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed)

1 can of pintos (drained and rinsed)

1 can of chili ready diced tomatoes

1/2 cup salsa

1 tsp onion powder

1 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp cumin

Chili powder to taste (depends on how spicy you want this)

6 flour or corn tortillas, medium-ish sized

2 cups of shredded cheese (I used colby and monterey jack)


*Note: You can used chopped onion and garlic if your husband and kids don't pick at their plate and complain about the "bits" in their food. Mine do, so I've just resigned myself to using the powdered versions.



Brown the ground beef or turkey and then drain the fat. Re-add it to a large deep skillet or in a medium sized sauce pot. Add the tomatoes, both cans of beans, the salsa, and the seasonings. Stir well and then bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for ten minutes.
Spray a medium sized casserole dish with non stick spray. I used a 9x9 square baking dish, because that is what I had that would fit everything. You could use an oval one or a circular one or whatever, just make sure it's nice and deep.
Start by placing one tortilla in the bottom of the dish. Layer on a cup of the meat and beans mixture, and then sprinkle on a layer of cheese. Add another tortilla and repeat until you run out of stuff or room. The top layer should be the meat and beans, and then add the remaining cheese. I crushed up some tortilla chips and topped it with those as well.
Cover with tin foil and bake at 375 for 35 minutes.
The Taste of Home version says it serves 4. Um.... yeah... Momma used to feed 4 teenagers and 2 adults off of ONE of their casseroles, so I would say that this would feasibly serve 6. Especially if you serve it with a nice salad on the side. YUM! And now... I'm going to go shove some of this in my face and then head on over to Beth's for a MUCH needed GIRL'S NIGHT! YAY!

No comments: