So, this was my first shot at the pillow-case top/dress thingy-doo-hickey. I've never made one before.. mostly because they aren't exactly my fave. I don't know.. they just tend to look unfinished for the most part. For whatever reason, though, they are INSANELY popular around here. I mean, you sew your own wedding dress and people are all, "Hey, that's pretty nice!" BUT, make a pillowcase dress and they think you are GOD. Okay... well, maybe not God, but considering how easy they are to pull off, I think the hype is kinda over the top.
ANYWAY, as I said, they are popular around these parts, so I thought it was high time Nadia had one. Plus, it's already hitting the mid to high 80's here, and quite frankly, I wouldn't mind wearing a light and breezy pillow case myself. Perhaps a maternity version is in order?
I didn't want it to look all weird at the armholes, which is where I find they generally look unfinished, so I used left over fabric from making the shorts (which I call baggies, because they are a bit longer than shorts and kinda baggy, I know, I'm insanely creative!), to make my own bias tape which I then used to line the armholes. Then I used some more fabric scraps to make the ribbon ties. Since I STILL had scraps, I made the little star applique' for the front.
I'm pretty pleased with it and I think it will be cute for some 4th of July photos in the next few months, provided Nadia miraculously keeps it stain free between now and then. Maybe I should make a back up one just in case because I do still have scraps of that red stuff left. I need to find a similar print in blue and white to make the baby a matching romper. Too bad boys can't do pillow case thing-a-ma-bobs, or he'd be all the rage!