Pages

Monday, April 26, 2010

The Best Laid Plans

I had THE BEST plans for today. First, I was going to sleep in a bit, and then get up and kind of pick at the house work. I planned on staying home all day and nursing my sun burnt, crispy shoulders by doing very little of anything. I planned on having a nice relaxing day with the kiddos right here at home. But you know what they say about "the best laid plans...."


Usually, the baby will chill in his crib for a bit first thing in the morning and talk to the birds outside of his window, or Nadia will go in and entertain him with puppet shows and things for a bit so I can get a little extra dozing time. NOT SO this morning. Nadia woke up early and immediately started demanding breakfast. Quick on her heals was Calvin who decided this morning that he wanted OUT. NOW. So much for my extra 30 minutes of snooze time.


I rolled out of bed and changed the baby, brought him into the kitchen and strapped him in his chair. While he entertained himself with the high chair toy attachment thing, I popped Nadia's waffle into the toaster. While it was toasting, I made the baby his oatmeal and applesauce. I spread peanut butter on the waffle (this is something Nadia LOVES to eat for breakfast, and quite frankly she could use the extra protein and fat, so we go for it), and fixed some juice for the baby and then sat them both down for breakfast together. I fed Calvin while Nadia ate her waffle, and then turned them both loose in the living room to play while I did clean up.


I wanted a cup of coffee SOOOO bad this morning. I haven't been able to drink it since day uno of this pregnancy. And not just because of the caffeine, but because every time I've tried to cheat for one cup, it's made me horribly ill. I went for it anyway, I could literally taste it just thinking about it. Got it all the way brewed and realized my creamer had expired MONTHS ago, so had to substitute some fat free milk. It also happened to be the last 1/4 cup of milk we had left, and an attempt to make toast revealed we were down to one piece of bread. In the process of throwing out the expired creamer I also remembered we were out of garbage bags.


So much for staying at home, I was going to have to make a trip to the store. I decided to put it off until after the baby's morning nap, during which I spent an obscene amount of time trying to edit my blog layout on paint.NET. I'm still not entirely sure if I'm happy with it, but I'm happier, so at least there's that. Once the baby woke up, I dressed both kids and managed to make myself look somewhat human and then headed to the store.


Nothing really interesting happened while at the grocery store unless you want to count all of the near misses I had with other people's grocery carts. I'm hesitant to say it was just me, since after all I'd had a cup of coffee that morning.... but it was CRAZY in there today! We got home just in time for me to fix lunch and then get the baby down for his afternoon nap, during which I spent an obscene amount of time playing with my blog layout. (yes, again) Right before the baby woke up, my younger sister called to say she was on her way to town and wanted to know if me and the kids wanted to go swimming with her, Jeff, and his daughter Haylee.


Remember, I'm sun burnt from yesterday, but I didn't think it was bad enough to miss out, and I could always chill under the umbrella while the kids splashed around with Aunt Allie, so I agreed. AFTER I agreed, Allie mentioned she would need me to go pick up my niece Anita from day care so she could come with. When I got there, there was a bit of a mix up since they were expecting Allie. Figured that out. Back in the car. Onwards and sideways!


Once we got to the pool, and a gust of wind lifted the umbrella and threw against the house (no lie) I decided to heck with it, and doused myself in SPF 70 and got in the water. After all, swimming is the ONLY exercise I'm allowed to partake in right now. As I'm packing up the kids and all of our gear to head home, my other sister calls and asks me if I could take Anita home with me and give her a bath since her bathroom is still under reconstruction. Before I knew it, everyone was coming over for dinner. Er..... chicken and rice anyone????


So I came home, I cooked dinner, I fed kids, I bathed kids, I cleaned off the table, I put kids to bed. Now I'm going to spend an obscene amount of time playing with my blog layout. (just kidding!..... maybe.....) Oh well... there's always tomorrow!

No comments: