Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A couple of Book Reviews:

So, to pass the time away, how about a couple of book reviews? First up:




I'm a really big Terry Pratchett/Discworld fan, but even if you aren't, this is still a really awesome book. The sheer amount of information concerning myths, legends, folklore, their origins, etc. from our own world, that is in this book is baffling. I'm talking everything from the origins of English football to Santa Clause. If you like interesting factoids, you would probably really enjoy this book. I did. I more or less just piddled through it for about a month, and every time I would pick it up to read a chapter I'd find out something really interesting that I never knew before.



Next up is:

If we were scaling on a 1-5 basis, I'd have to give this book somewhere around 3.5-4. I really liked the IDEA behind the story. It's obviously a different version of the classic Alice in Wonderland but also so much more than that. This is supposedly the TRUE story of the real "Alyss" and the book Alice in Wonderland is actually somewhat of an insult to her "real life" story. Anyway. It has a kind of steam-punky vibe to it, which I enjoyed. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it seemed VERY rushed through. The author had all these really great ideas and concepts and I felt like he should have spent more time on them than he did. I didn't feel like there was ENOUGH story. It's the first book in a trilogy and I'm having a hard time getting into the second one. I kind of feel like he should of concentrated on fleshing out the first book more before trying to develop the series. You can almost feel him rushing through the writing to get to the next part. Meanwhile, he's leaving behind all of these really interesting tidbits that I wish he would tell his readers more about. So it was a good book, but it could have been GREAT. And that kind of sucks. *sighs*

Anyway. I'm still pregnant.

In other news, Calvin turns 1 year old tomorrow!! I can hardly believe it. Already. 1 whole year. *sniffles*

No comments: