Pages

Monday, February 15, 2010

Book Review: Percy Jackson Book 1


Before I get started, let me just say that it is VERY difficult.... nay impossible for me not to compare any book written in this genre for this age group to Harry Potter. I can't help it. J.K. set a standard for me in young literature... which leads me to be very disappointed in most other series which have tried to follow suit. This one is not excluded.
It was.....kinda....well... boring. And sure, maybe it's because it was written for a younger reading audience than myself... but still... in comparison I was not bored with Harry Potter. *shrugs* Call me biased.
It wasn't ALL bad. I liked the IDEA behind the story. I really liked a lot of the concepts expressed in the story... I just felt like they could have been expressed in much more colorful detail and made to be more interesting. In short... I think that the story/series has A LOT of potential.. it just kinda falls short for me in the first book.
I'm holding out and hoping that as the series progresses the author's writing style will mature with her characters. Kinda like in, you know, Harry Potter. Has anyone read any of the other books in this series? What did you think of them? Is it worth the time to read further?
Hrm... anyway, books have been fairly disappointing for me lately. I can't seem to find anything to hold my interest or really even peak it for that matter. Maybe I'll have better luck with the next one. I picked up a couple of Paulo Coelho's books awhile back. I loved his book, The Alchemist. I'm hoping that the two that I picked up will live up to my expectations. Who knows. I also picked up a couple more of Jodi Picoult's books. I have loved every book I've read by her so far, so here's hoping I'm not disappointed in those either. I need a good read to lose myself in.

No comments: